Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire

Go down 
+8
qspn
pyroboy1911
qsp1985
slyyoung
nicque_panda
saddizdd7
adamiqbal
aw13
12 posters

Your "Legend" (still active now)?
Raul - Real Madrid
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap4%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Del Piero - Juventus
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap9%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Maldini - AC Milan
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap35%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 35% [ 8 ]
Giggs - Man Utd
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap39%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 39% [ 9 ]
Terry - Chelsea
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap4%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Gerrard - Liverpool
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap9%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Totti - Roma
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_lcap0%Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
aw13
Administrator
Administrator
aw13

Male
Number of posts : 2863
Job/hobbies : JC la....
Humor : Dry (almost cracking)
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Empty
PostSubject: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Superb article on the Milan legend from www.frontlinefootball.com

In sport the term "legend" is thrown around far too often.

Every other season a new "legend" appears only to disappear off the radar the following year. Surely to become a recognised "legend" an athlete should be at the top of their respective game for several years.

When I think of football, several players fit this category. However some stand out all the more because they have dedicated their time to one club and continue to play at the highest level year in and year out.

I think of Ryan Giggs at Manchester United who was their best player last night against Derby County in the FA Cup. Another is Raul of Real Madrid, who has recently become the club's all-time top goalscorer.

However, most of all I think of AC Milan and Italian defender Paolo Maldini.

I will not lie, what you are about to read is a very personal and myopic view of Paolo Maldini.

As regular readers of this site are aware I am Arsenal through and through. However, ask me who my favourite Arsenal player is and I will reply with "am...let me think...Wright, no Bergkamp...no Henry", I am a muddle of indecisiveness.

Yet ask me who my favourite footballer of all time is and I don't even have to put my brain into action, I simply say "Paolo Maldini".

When people strive further and say "It must be Pele or Maradona", I say "No, it's Maldini".

Personally, Paolo Maldini is the greatest footballer to have ever taken to the pitch. People will argue that is rubbish, it is Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Best or Van Basten. Funnily enough the people that say this most often are my own age.

Pele may well be the best of all-time but I am not going to base my judgment on a few video recordings and stats. I didn't grow up with Pele, Maradona or Best, but I did grow up with Paolo Maldini.

My parents or siblings can't explain it but from the age of four or five I have been obsessed with football. Perhaps it is because the Republic of Ireland became good around then when we reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup in Italy.

Funny that it should become Italy as I fell in love with the Italian game before I did the English one. The first footballers whose names I learnt were Irish-Packie Bonner and Dave O'Leary.

After that it was Paolo Maldini, the third player I can remember as having an impact on my love of the game. A bit strange he should be number three in line.

For the 56th and most likely last time, Paolo Maldini took to the San Siro pitch last night for the Milan derby and as I sat watching the game on BBC3 it brought with it a wave of nostalgia.

I remember sitting on my sofa at home when I was barely bigger than a football myself watching the great Milan team of the early 1990s. So many big names-Baresi, Weah, Donadoni but of course the one that stuck out was the guy playing at left back.

For a reason I cannot explain, Maldini made me fall in love with football. It was as though he was creating art in his defending.

Since I have started following his career, all of 19 years ago, I feel that Maldini has never let me down. He is not a dirty player and has never had huge dips in performance-quite stunning for a man that has played over a 1,000 professional games.

Last night for the first time I saw and admitted that it may be time for him to hang up his boots.

The mind was still willing and the body still strong but the legs not able to take him. At times he struggled to keep up with Adriano but being Maldini he never gave up and often did enough to distract the big Brazilian.

It was clear for all to see Maldini still has the footballing brain. He could spot the runs being made and can still pick out that crisp pass. However, he is short that extra yard of pace now and at 40 years of age playing in one of the best leagues in the world that is of no disrespect to the man.

My favourite Maldini memory of recent times came in the 2002-03 season.

AC Milan were playing Real Madrid at the San Siro in the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League. AC Milan were ahead in the tie and Real were struggling to get back into the match.

Luis Figo, then at Madrid, collected the ball just before the halfway line and went dribbling down the right flank. Maldini gave chase. The Milan captain didn't lunge in to a tackle as many would have as last man back. Instead, he waited and waited until he saw the opportunity-nipped in front of Figo and just took the ball from the Portuguese midfielder. Such was Figo's annoyance he kicked out at Maldini who simply smiled.

AC Milan went on to win the Champions League that season, beating Juventus in a penalty shoot-out at Old Trafford. It was one of five European titles for Maldini.

Paolo Maldini has had a glorious career winning seven Scudettos, one Copa Italia, four Supercoppa Italia alongside his European victories. Sadly he never tasted sweet success with the Italian national side, going so close in the 1994 World Cup and again in the Euros in 2000.

It'll be strange next season seeing an AC Milan team without "3 Maldini" on the pitch. Such is his service to the Italian club that the No. 3 jersey will be retired until hopefully one of his two sons will take up the mantel.

Maldini is one of those players that is respected universally.

It was a great moment when he entered the pitch to see fans of bitter rivals Inter Milan holding aloft a banner that read 'Per 20 anni nostro rivale, ma nella vita sempre leale' (For 20 years our opponent, but in life always loyal).

Maldini applauded the Nezzazuri who responded with applause, a fitting tribute to a great player. I am sure several of the Rosseneri held back tears, I know I did.

Forza Maldini, Il Captaino per sempre.

Last edited by aw13 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
adamiqbal
adamiqbal

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:55 pm

my vote for ADP.
Back to top Go down
http://sarawakfootballshirts.blogspot.com/
saddizdd7
Malaysian Jersey Collector
saddizdd7

Male
Number of posts : 503
Job/hobbies : love collecting football shirts
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:03 pm

i would like to have Ryan Joseph Giggs or known as Giggsy (welsh wizard)
he is one of 'pearl' for Manchester united,
achieve many thing with man utd in his young ages until now...for me he amongst the best wings player and his attacking mode still dangerous,first appearances on march 1991 (already 18 years) going to be 36 of age in this year...still in all man utd fan heart Smile
Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire _42694439_giggs_fergie416
Back to top Go down
http://my-fjc.friendhood.net/
nicque_panda
nicque_panda

Male
Number of posts : 1248
Job/hobbies : JC of coz....
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 pm

err...no Totti in poll? Hmm
Back to top Go down
slyyoung
slyyoung

Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm sure Giggsy will get the accolades he deserves from fans, more than Eric Cantona possibly. But sticking to topic, I do think Paolo Maldini is a legend. To be playing at age 40 in one of the top leagues in the world is already an accomplishment, but to be playing for the same club for 20+ years is simply mind-blowing. In this day and age where money talks and player walks, Maldini is a shining example of true professionalism.

Paolo Maldini, lo saluto!

PS: Anyone wants to bet how many clubs Cristiano Ronaldo will serve in his career?
Back to top Go down
nicque_panda
nicque_panda

Male
Number of posts : 1248
Job/hobbies : JC of coz....
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:53 pm

yeah agreed with sly...i voted for maldini too.

well i dun think CR will play as many clubs as Anelka Laughing
Back to top Go down
aw13
Administrator
Administrator
aw13

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 pm

And there you go! Roma's Totti too! Smile

Thanks to nicque_panda for the reminder!
Back to top Go down
slyyoung
slyyoung

Number of posts : 694

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Who voted for Terry? aw13? Tongue
Back to top Go down
aw13
Administrator
Administrator
aw13

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

@slyyoung

If you must know, I voted for Maldini, simply because of his achievements thus far with Milan, and the fact that he's still going strong now. I'm sure JT will be similar, just that he's not there yet.
Back to top Go down
qsp1985
qsp1985

Male
Number of posts : 5721
Job/hobbies : Football, music, movies
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Raul gets my vote.... he is just unbelivable. Similar to the like of Maldini & ADP, all of them are playing at the higest level for so long and not to mention going againts the "age factor". THey are just class
Back to top Go down
pyroboy1911
Moderator (Malaysia)
Moderator (Malaysia)
pyroboy1911

Male
Number of posts : 5291
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:12 pm

1 club player will always be in our hearts. for that, my vote goes to maldini, he basically follow through in his father's footstep, and now it looks like his sons might continue the Maldini's family tradition of serving for Milan.
Back to top Go down
http://wtdaclub.blogspot.com
qspn
qspn

Male
Number of posts : 1118
Job/hobbies : Football
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 pm

My vote would goes to Maldini. Absolutely a living legend!!! I think it won't be long we would see the young Maldini breaking through the Milan Youth Rank.
Back to top Go down
sakhratul
sakhratul

Male
Number of posts : 1638
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:53 am

who shud i vote for?? Hmm Hmm Hmm

haha.. definitely maldini.. i grew up watching him and its gonna be weird not seeing him in the milan squad anymore starting next season... he and van basten was the reason u started supporting milan and he was also the reason i choose to play as a defender in high school..

i watch the maldini - il film movie for a couple of time already and i still can get enuff of it yet... forza il capitano...

del piero, giggs and raul are also a true legends as maldini.. their dedication and loyalty are simply awesome..
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sakhratul/
stilo10
stilo10

Male
Number of posts : 1002
Job/hobbies : Football & JSY
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:19 pm

maldini is definitely a great living legend for his dedication to the club... he is the symbol of AC MILAN... OTTIMOOOOO!!!
Back to top Go down
devil_nick87
devil_nick87

Male
Number of posts : 1129
Job/hobbies : Football, Futsal, GoKart
Humor : Malaysia to win the World Cup one day
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:33 pm

if possible i want to vote for both maldini and giggs....
Back to top Go down
giotto

Number of posts : 466

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 am

I'd go for Maldini, he's a living legend in Milan's squad. 20 freaking years in the same club and he's even still playing at the moment. However, i do have a pity on him, for not being able to win the World Cup with Italy 2 years ago. Maldini has achieved everything in the football scene but the WC eludes him.

As for Giggsy, he's somewhere there along with Maldini but i'd like to specifically highlight his achievements in Man Utd. He's got like 9 EPL medals, 2 UCL medals and countless FA Cup and other titles. He's probably one of the most decorated player and he's a perfect role model for budding players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire   Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inter - Milan: A Paolo Maldini Tribute Following His Last Derby Della Madonnina by MaireOfeire
Page 1 of 1